83 Irving St.
Experienced technology executive with 30+ years of hands-on technical development, architecture, and management expertise. Expert-level knowledge of graphics, high-performance computing, GPU programming, parallel architectures, image processing, video, and visual effects. I care deeply about quality, the development process, and the people who create software. Technical lead on two successful exits and multiple acquisitions. Problem solver at all levels.
Dark Star Systems, Somerville MA — CEO
Oct 2017 - Present
- Founded Dark Star Systems to help scientists create beautiful visualizations of their data.
- Also open to consulting in areas of expertise:
- GPU programming in CUDA
- Image processing and visual effects
- High-performance computing
- Cloud computing
- Software process improvement
- Technology strategy
Boris FX, Boston MA — CTO
Sept 2016 - Oct 2017
- Moved to Boris FX as part of acquisition of GenArts
- Managed complex merger of R&D groups
- Managed technical staff of over 30 people, including distributed teams in UK and Russia
- Continued hands-on development of Sapphire, leading to successful launch of Sapphire 11 in Oct. ‘17
- Drove convergence of R&D processes to improve productivity, communication and engagement
- Delivered multiple products with high quality on time, while managing significant resource constraints
Vivoom, Cambridge MA — Co-founder, Technical Advisor
2014 - Sept 2016
- Spun out Vivoom from GenArts to bring cloud-based visual effects to mobile video creators
- Pivoted to become a mobile video ad services platform
- Managed initial development and rollout: iOS, Amazon AWS, Ruby on Rails
Hands-on development and management of 3-6 technical staff
GenArts, Cambrige MA — VP Engineering, CTO
June 1997 - Sept 2016
- Joined GenArts with Karl Sims, international computer artist, to bring the power of high-performance computing to serve artists creating video worldwide
- Co-developed Sapphire Plug-ins, a visual effects suite for TV and movies. Led technology development through 10 releases over 20 years
- Created a lasting, solid, elegant technical architecture and development processes that enabled GenArts to be highly profitable and well-respected over a 20 year period, with a very small, tight-knit, highly productive and engaged technical team
- Managed technical integration of several acquisitions
- Also managed IT and back-office systems including custom Ruby on Rails CRM
Advanced Visual Systems, Waltham MA — Chief Architect
June 1993 - June 1997
- Developed high-end scientific visualization and visual programming software on workstations, PCs, and massively parallel supercomputers.
Thinking Machines, Cambridge MA — Visualization Software Developer
1989 - 1993
- Developed massively parallel graphics and visualization software on the Connection Machine: CM-2 and CM-5
MASSCOMP, Westford MA — Hardware Engineer
1984 - 1989
- Designed and developed digital I/O hardware and A/D converters for real-time Unix-based data acquisition systems.
MIT, Cambridge MA — BSEE
1980 - 1984
- C/C++, CUDA, python, OpenGL, Perl
- High-level system architecture, parallel algorithms, cloud computing, multithreading
- Image and signal processing: visual effects, FFT, image analysis
- Graphics: 2d is my specialty but also 3d
- User experience design
- Some tools I like: SCons, git/github, Trello, Slack, github, Amazon AWS, Jira, emacs.
8,935,611: Network-based rendering and steering of visual effects
8,412,729 and 8,667,016: Sharing of presets for visual effects or other computer-implemented effects
SCons — developer, maintainer
1998 - present
- SCons is an open source cross-platform software build tool written in python. https://www.scons.org. I’ve been contributing to it since its inception.
OFX Association — Association Director
2009 - present
- The OFX Association oversees the Open Effects standard for visual effects plug-ins. https://www.openeffects.org. I helped start the Association in 2009 and have been a director since then.
Music (jazz bass player), sailing, playing Go, travel.